Sunday, October 2, 2011

Green Eggs and Ham



One of my all time favorite stories is from Dr. Seuss, Green eggs and ham. I can not even count how many times I have read this book over and over again for my self, not to mention how many times I have read this for my children. Needless to say I lost count somewhere around the time of the twins. But I will never forget the story. The one character, Sam, tries to feed the other character, a plate of Green Eggs and Ham. Throughout the story, Sam goes through an assortment of locations (house, car, tree, train, box, boat) and dining partners (fox, goat, mouse) trying to persuade the unnamed character to eat and no matter what, the character still refuses to eat the eggs. We do the same thing when it comes to our life and the change that God wants to bring forth. Paul describes it best in Galatians 5:17, when he describes the conflict we face everyday between the changes the Holy Ghost wants to bring about us, and the old sinful nature that refuses to let go which is very important because it directly relates to our evil desires or inclinations that stem from our bodies, not unlike the refusal to eat the eggs and ham that Sam is offering because the body was not used to having such a thing. You see, when will we as the body of Christ learn that what God has for us is better then anything we could ever imagine for ourself. But at every step of the way, we try to fight him and argue our point with him instead of allowing the Holy Ghost to move in our lives, effectively bringing forth the change. Being led by the Holy Ghost takes the desire to want to change by hearing the word of God, then having the readiness to obey him and take him at his word. You see, just like in the story Green Eggs and Ham, the character Sam, was trying to get the other to try something he has never done before, just like the Holy Ghost is trying to get you to try God on for size instead. In the end of the story, the character finally gives the Green Eggs and Ham a try, 

I like green eggs and ham!
I do!! I like them, Sam-I-am!
And I would eat them in a boat!
And I would eat them with a goat...
And I will eat them in the rain.
And in the dark. And on a train.
And in a car. And in a tree.
They are so good so good you see!

So I will eat them in a box.
And I will eat them with a fox.
And I will eat them in a house.
And I will eat them with a mouse.
And I will eat them here and there.
Say! I will eat them ANYWHERE!

I do so like
green eggs and ham!
Thank you!
Thank you,
Sam-I-am

When are you going to try your Green Eggs and Ham, I can promise you this, just like Sam did, you will like them, because the Lord God knows your most intimate desires of your heart! Stop resisting the change, next time you are giving the opportunity by the will of God for your life, try his way instead of your own!

No comments:

Post a Comment